This web site was started in 1997 and it holds information that we have found about various
clock and watchmakers, and so far has
35,726 records in its database. The information comes from listings published in books and trade directories that we have in our library, giving
dates that makers are known to have been working. At the moment, the database includes
individual trade directory entries from
trade directories and more detailed biographies for
3779 makers and retailers.
The information is not necessarily all there is to know about the maker, but it is a digest of all we have found in our researches.
We specialise in British and Irish makers.
Pattens Clock Repairs
Est 1932, antique and modern clocks repaired.
phone 01268 759047 (Benfleet, Essex)
Welcome to THE web site for researching the maker of your clock or Watch.
Quick links to library documents :-
If your clock or watch maker is not already listed on this website, you can request
that we look into adding them by
a tour of the clockswatches.co.uk website
Clock and Watch Maker Details added or updated in the last 2 weeks
- Bayne, John of Stirling A brief document giving some working dates for this John Bayne of Stirling and two photographs of a longcase clock by him. (Updated 28 Nov 2014)
- Barlow, Benjamin of Ashton & Oldham, Lancashire. A brief document giving some working dates for Benjamin Barlow of Ashton & Oldham. This page also contains details of locations of published photos of items by him and 2 photos of a watch by him. (Updated 28 Nov 2014)
- Bailey, W. H. & Co of Salford, Manchester, Lancashire. A brief document giving some working dates for W. H. Bailey, & Co. This page shows 1 photograph of a clock with his name on it. (Updated 28 Nov 2014)
- Reid Family of Newcastle, Northumberland. A brief document giving some working dates for the Reid family, plus 5 photos of a watch by them. (Updated 25 Nov 2014)
- Griffin, Bonner of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire and Ongar, Essex. A brief document giving a single working date for Bonner Griffin of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire and Ongar, Essex, and shows 2 photos of a clock by him. (Updated 20 Nov 2014)
- Smith, John of Wrexham. A brief document giving some working dates for two makers called John Smith of Wrexham. There are 4 photos of a longcase clock by John Smith junior on this page. (Updated 19 Nov 2014)
- Inskip of Shefford, Bedfordshire A brief document giving some working dates for three generations of makers with the name Inskip of Shefford. (Updated 19 Nov 2014)
A list of the books and trade directories used in our searches
Forgotten your Password?
Links to other sites
This site is run by Pattens Clock