watchmaker Thomas Smith of London

Please use this forum to either request or add information on a BRITISH or IRISH watch or clockmaker. Request for makers from other countries will be removed from the forum. Please be aware that if a link to an existing page on or website is given in the reply you will need to be a subscriber to the website to view the page. Registration to this forum does not give you access to the website pages.
Forum rules
Please only request details of Britsh and Irish makers, queries about makers from other countries will be removed.
Any personal attacks will be removed and the person banned from the forum.
No advertising of goods is allowed.
LouiseP

watchmaker Thomas Smith of London

Post by LouiseP » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 am

I have a pair cased pocket watch made by Thomas Smith of London about 1700. I am hoping he is an ancestor.
Does anyone know of this maker?
Many thanks.
Attachments
thos smith watch reduced.jpg
thos smith watch reduced.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 553 times

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Re: watchmaker Thomas Smith of London

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks for the request, are there any hallmarks on the case? If so can you photograph them for us.

LouiseP

Post by LouiseP » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:21 pm

No hallmarks sadly.
I opened it up this morning and can confirm Thos Smith London 7767 on the movement, if that's the correct term.

Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:26 am

Hi,
What features makes you think the watch is 1700's? It is difficult to see from your photo and details of the workings plus there are a lot of makers in London with the name Thomas Smith. Any more help you can give us different photos of the watch, dial and case.

LouiseP

Post by LouiseP » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:40 pm

thomas smith watch movement reduced.jpg
thomas smith watch movement reduced.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 541 times
I took the watch to be valued and this was the date suggested by the valuer. In our family tree we have two Thomas Smiths, more from the middle of the 18th century, who may have a watchmaking connection - more research required here. Here's a photo of the movement, hope it helps. What does the number 7767 mean?

Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:07 am

Hi, We don't think it will be possible to decide which Thomas Smith is your maker as each of our reference books list several possibilities. One such is Thomas Smith apprenticed in 1763 in Princes Street, Aldgate and freed in 1770. Another book says apprenticed in March 1763 to Peter Perry of St. Botolph, Adgate and freed in September 1770 but this is just one example out of about a dozen.It is a shame there are no hallmarks in the case as this would give a definite date to work with. We are very sorry we have not been able to help you.

LouiseP

Post by LouiseP » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Thank you for your help.
I would still like to know what the number 7767 refers to. It is clearly engraved on the movement, but is not so clear in the photo. I know nothing about watchmaking so help in understanding the number would be useful.

The Thomas Smith in my family was born in 1725, and I discovered a TS who was apprenticed in 1647, which might fit. He might have worked in Lombard Street.

Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:19 pm

The style of your watch is mid 1700's, so the earlier family member would not have made the watch. The number on the watch is purely a number that the maker put on it so that he can reference it in his books to track it's history, customer etc. Before you ask, no, it is highly unlikely that his books still exist! :)

The Thomas in Lombard street finished his apprenticeship in 1745. He was apprenticed to Marmaduke Storr and then served under his uncle William Newman of Norwich and then continued to work on his own in Norwich.

I hope this helps.

It is a shame that there are no marks or stamps on the watch case as this would have tied things down a lot more.

For interest, we have 21 'different' Thomas Smiths' in London from 1647 to 1876! Which is why we have not done a page on this name as it would be too confusing.

Regards
Tony

LouiseP

Post by LouiseP » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you for clearing that up, and the extra information. It is much appreciated. Every bit of knowledge helps.
Louise