Abery or Avery?

Please use this forum to either request or add information on a BRITISH or IRISH watch or clockmaker. Request for makers from other countries will be removed from the forum. Please be aware that if a link to an existing page on or website is given in the reply you will need to be a subscriber to the website to view the page. Registration to this forum does not give you access to the website pages.
Forum rules
Please only request details of Britsh and Irish makers, queries about makers from other countries will be removed.
Any personal attacks will be removed and the person banned from the forum.
No advertising of goods is allowed.
RWObbard

Abery or Avery?

Post by RWObbard » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

I have a George III Tall Case Clock that has been appraised by a reputable appraiser, but I am trying to learn more about its maker. Here is the information I have: England circa 1780, marked "Richard Abrey (sic)", arched bonnet with standing columns, tombstone door in waist, bracket base, brass dial with time and strike movement, Father Time sways before a landscape on upper dial, height 82 inches. Inside the case there is an identification number "25" behind a celluloid cover, and below the dealer's label "J. Walton & Co Ltd / Antique Furniture / Mere, Wilts. The clock was given by my greatgrandfather to my grandmother in around 1930. - The paperwork I have on it says "The maker is almost certainly Richard Avery rather than Richard Abery." ------ Can anyone help me figure out which it was or provide information on either maker?

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Re: Abery or Avery?

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 am

Hi, Is there any town name shown on the dial near the maker's name?

Tony

RWObbard

Post by RWObbard » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Yes, it says "Richard Abery" and under that "Mere". My father had it appraised in the 1990s and someone, either he or the appraiser, seemed to think it was actually Avery. I don't know why, and he has passed. I would send you a photo, but the attach icon above doesn't seem to want to work...

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 am

The Wiltshire clock and watchmakers book, vol.3 lists a Kingston Avery at Mere 1699-1764, father of your maker? Can you send the photo to;- requests@clockswatches.co.uk and then we will add him as an unknown maker.