Russell of London Wall Fusee

Please use this forum to either request or add information on a BRITISH or IRISH watch or clockmaker. Request for makers from other countries will be removed from the forum. Please be aware that if a link to an existing page on or website is given in the reply you will need to be a subscriber to the website to view the page. Registration to this forum does not give you access to the website pages.
Forum rules
Please only request details of Britsh and Irish makers, queries about makers from other countries will be removed.
Any personal attacks will be removed and the person banned from the forum.
No advertising of goods is allowed.
gryphonoz

Russell of London Wall Fusee

Post by gryphonoz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:38 am

Hi, I have just acquired this convex dial mahogany wall fusee. From the style it looks to be earlier than Benjamin Edward Russell or Henry George Russell, the two listed watch & clock makers for London. The enamel dial is 10" and the solid mahogany case is 6" deep. Heavy A-frame single fusee with lead-filled brass pendulum. Does anyone have any information or suggestions on date?
Attachments
Russell-of-London.jpg
Russell-of-London.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 371 times

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Re: Russell of London Wall Fusee

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:07 am

Hi, As you found there are lots of makers in London with the surname of Russell, just a quick search brought up 19 of them! Unfortunately this style of clock with the same style of dial was made right up to the 1960's by Thwaites who then put the retailers name on the dial. My personal feeling is that it is late 1800's but I cannot provide any evidence of this. Sorry we cannot be of any additional help on this.

Tony

gryphonoz

Post by gryphonoz » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks Tony. The only thing that I have from this end is a local 'expert' said it was very early because of the solid mahogany case and mahogany pegs, but I'll see if I can follow up on Thwaites. I'll see if I can post some more photographs too. :)

Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 am

If you get the clock out of it's case, the movement will be stamped 'Thwaites', usually on the front plate if it is a Thwaites clock. The solid mahogany case would point to the mid/late 1800's.

Tony

gryphonoz

Post by gryphonoz » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:37 pm

No marks on the movement. Someone has done it up and replaced the chain with a modern cable :-/ The rest hasn't been messed with recently. The case looks to have quite some age to it. Any comments about the movement style would be appreciated, although similar-looking movements were probably made over a long period.
Attachments
Russell-Dial-Back.jpg
Russell-Dial-Back.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Russell-Movt-Front.jpg
Russell-Movt-Front.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Russell-Movt-Back.jpg
Russell-Movt-Back.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Russell-Case.jpg
Russell-Case.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 358 times

Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:08 am

Although not marked as such, that definitely looks like a Thwaites and Reed movement, as the shape of the pallet cock is the same as they often use. Date wise, I would now suggest late 1800's very early 1900's

I hope that helps
Tony

gryphonoz

Post by gryphonoz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:37 am

OK, thank you. I very much appreciate your time and knowledge. Grant :)