Antique Pocket Watch Identification - Belfast

Please use this forum to either request or add information on a BRITISH or IRISH watch or clockmaker. Request for makers from other countries will be removed from the forum. Please be aware that if a link to an existing page on or website is given in the reply you will need to be a subscriber to the website to view the page. Registration to this forum does not give you access to the website pages.
Forum rules
Please only request details of Britsh and Irish makers, queries about makers from other countries will be removed.
Any personal attacks will be removed and the person banned from the forum.
No advertising of goods is allowed.
Fiwi

Antique Pocket Watch Identification - Belfast

Post by Fiwi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Hello! I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me with 2 recently inherited pocket watches. I've been stumped when trying to confirm the ages of the 2 pieces. Let's start with the one with the movement signed Sherrard Bro. Belfast. The case is stamped CF and HB (Are one of those the case maker's mark?). I have looked all over the www and can't find anything on a watchmaker in Belfast with this name. TIA for the help! I've
fullsizeoutput_1833.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1833.jpeg (41.84 KiB) Viewed 331 times
The attachment fullsizeoutput_1848.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment fullsizeoutput_184d.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment fullsizeoutput_1833.jpeg is no longer available

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Re: Antique Pocket Watch Identification - Belfast

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:43 am

Hi,

CF and HB are the casemakers marks, why your have 2 makers we don't know but assume 2 makers were involved, the number 7 is probably an internal mark with meaning to the makers and the lower crown, leopards head etc are your hallmarks - London 1860. The casemakers could be CH for Charles Hatchman who registered his marks form about 1867 until around 1872. HB would be Henry Bamford of 18 Myddelton Street, Clerkenwell who registered his marks between 1852 and 1876.

Fiwi

Post by Fiwi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:42 am

Thank you for that information. I'm not sure what happened to the other pictures. Any information on Sherrard Bro., Belfast?
fullsizeoutput_1850.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1850.jpeg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 325 times

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 pm

I am sure more information is available somewhere but my book just has Sherrard H. & L.J. watch and clockmakers in 1858 at 44 and 47 Castle Street, Belfast.

Fiwi

Post by Fiwi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 pm

That's a help, thank you!