RHL & Co

Please use this forum to either request or add information on a BRITISH or IRISH watch or clockmaker. Request for makers from other countries will be removed from the forum. Please be aware that if a link to an existing page on or website is given in the reply you will need to be a subscriber to the website to view the page. Registration to this forum does not give you access to the website pages.
Forum rules
Please only request details of Britsh and Irish makers, queries about makers from other countries will be removed.
Any personal attacks will be removed and the person banned from the forum.
No advertising of goods is allowed.
StandardTime

RHL & Co

Post by StandardTime » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:02 am

Hello, I am restoring a clock with 'Arthur Kay & Bro.' on the dial, but the movement has a stamped plate on the back with 'R.H.L. & Co. M/C'.
I am not finding any information as to the back stamp, but I see that Arthur Kay is still an operating business in Manchester.
Anyone have any insight on this?

Cheers

Rob Phillips
Standard Time Clock

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Re: RHL & Co

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Rob,
I cannot find anything on this maker at the moment. Any idea on the age of the clock?

Regards
Tony

StandardTime

Post by StandardTime » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:31 am

I'd estimate this clock to be about 1895- 1910. I've seen this little plaque with the markings on other English clocks, and if you google it, it does show up in finished auctions. No info on the meaning of these initials, however. The clock is of excellent quality, hardened pivots and top notch execution throughout. It has managed to run for a very long time without being serviced. I'm not entirely sure it has ever been serviced, but that would be a stretch, as it was running merrily along when the customer called me to look at it. It was so badly discoloured it looked like it was made of chocolate. I have it cleaned now and the condition is excellent, even the anchor is almost unrutted. There was almost no sign of any remaining lubrication, save some hardened deposits around the barrel arbor pivots that had to be chipped off. I was expecting a disaster, but this is a real treat.
There is a tension knob on the clamp at the anchor arbor to facilitate adjusting the grip of the impulse lever assembly. A robust L-shaped spring provides force to the maintaining power. The clock strikes simply on a coiled gong. I'm not sure why the pic is rotated, but you can see the little knob for the tension of the impulse lever from the front.
RHL1.jpeg
RHL1.jpeg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 56 times

requests@clockswatches.co.uk
Site Admin

Post by requests@clockswatches.co.uk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:42 am

We are very sorry but non of our books list this name. If you could post a photo of the "RHL" logo we will add it to the site as an unknown maker.